Dining on the elegant patios of Downtown Vancouver’s world-class restaurants is one of the great pleasures of summer in the city.
Yaletown, in particular, has a concentration of famous Vancouver hotspots and restaurants with patios, and though the food and service is five-star—and the dinner crowd can include celebrities—you can feel comfortable dining there no matter what you’re wearing (even if you spent the day exploring Vancouver in a tee-shirt and jeans).
Case in point: Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar. One of the city’s premiere seafood restaurants—and recent host to a vampire-licious cast party for New Moon that included Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart—the Blue Water Cafe has a fabulous patio overlooking Yaletown’s vibrant Hamilton Street. And I went there last week for dinner in shorts and flip-flops.
The food is expensive, but I promise: It’s worth it. I even sampled the raw oysters—a Blue Water Cafe specialty. Truthfully, I’m not a big raw-oyster fan (I had a bad experience in Ireland once) but even I enjoyed these. We sampled just a few, as an appetizer, but oyster lovers can make a meal out of their fabulous, in-season selections.
We also tried the halibut special and the bouillabaisse:
Ah, eating divine food outside on a sunny day. Really, does it get better than that?
Top 5 Yaletown Restaurant Patios
- Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar, 1095 Hamilton Street
- Glowbal Grill & Satay Bar, 1079 Mainland Street
- Coast Restaurant, 1257 Hamilton Street
- Brix Restaurant, 1138 Homer Street (OK, it’s actually a courtyard, not a patio….But it totally counts!)
- Milestone’s Grill & Bar, 1109 Hamilton Street (Because not all Yaletown patios are attached to expensive places!)
Have a different Top 5?