Since my partner is Brazilian, I am very familiar with the extreme importance of the World Cup; he already has June 15 “blocked” for viewing Brazil’s first game with a dozen of his fellow ex-pats and our 3-month old son. Later, he will make his way to Commercial Drive, the place to watch the World Cup in Vancouver—and the place to celebrate, eventually, the winners.
One of Vancouver’s most diverse neighbourhoods, Commercial Drive is a hub for European and Latin food and culture, which makes its cafes and bars the best—and most crowded—places to watch the “beautiful game”. It will also likely be home to the biggest victory celebration: When the Italians won the Cup back in 2006 (much to my husband’s tearful dismay), Commercial Drive came alive with a party that spilled out into the street, shutting down traffic.
Where to Watch the World Cup on Commercial Drive
- Caffé Roma Sports Bar at 1510 Commercial Drive
- Joe’s Cafe at 1150 Commercial Drive
- Portuguese Club of Vancouver at 1144 Commercial Drive
- Caffé Napoli at 1670 Commercial Drive
- Abruzzo Cappuccino at 1321 Commercial Drive
- Rio Theatre at 1660 E. Broadway
Know more places to watch the World Cup on the Drive? Please share below!