There is only one thing that makes the end of summer in Vancouver tolerable: the annual Fair at the PNE. No matter how old you are, you always feel like a kid when you arrive at the Fair: there’s a thrum of excitement in the air and—from the mini donuts to the exhibits to the 50+ rides—it’s hard to know where to start, there’s so much to see and do!
The 2010 Fair at the PNE is bigger and better than ever: this year is the 100th anniversary of this beloved summer favourite. So if ever there was a year not to miss the Fair, this is it!
Top 10 Reasons to Do the 2010 Fair at the PNE
1. The 100th Anniversary PNE Parade – Happening Friday, August 20 (the day before the Fair begins), the first-ever, one-time-only Parade will see 100 years of PNE magic travel along Beach Avenue in English Bay from Stanley Park to Sunset Beach.
2. Superdogs – Kids love them, dog-lovers love them….That’s everybody, right?
3. The Rides - The Fair is packed with 55+ rides and attractions, including Western Canada’s first vertical swing ride and the classic Wooden Roller Coaster.
4. The Food – Isn’t Fair food the best? Mini donuts, cotton candy, funnel cakes, BBQ, skewers, fish and chips, plus every kind of food imaginable, from Chinese to Mexican to Indian!
5. 100 Years of Fun Parade - Celebrate the Fair’s 100th birthday once daily with this on-site birthday parade.
6. West Coast Lumberjack Show – The ultimate west-coast Canadian show!
7. The Midway Games – Win a stuffed animal at Wac a Mole and you’ll really feel like you’re at a fair!
8. Summer Night Concerts – Performers include Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Terri Clark, Michael Bolton, Cyndi Lauper, Los Lobos, Little River Band, Wayne Newton, Huey Lewis and The News, and local favourites Trooper, Spirit of the West and Mariana’s Trench!
9. The Pacific Spirit Horse Show – Just one of the fabulous animal showcases at the Fair’s Agriculture area, this famous horse show includes miniature horses, cattle penning, jumping exhibitions, the RCMP musical ride, and—new for 2010—the Battle of the Breeds.
10. Kaboom! A Pyro Musical Spectacular 100th Celebration – Happening nightly, this gigantic birthday celebration uses innovative projection and state-of-the-art lighting to take you on “a high tech trip through one hundred years of PNE History.”
Video trailer for Kaboom!:
Bonus: Go Sunday, August 22 between 9am – 12pm (noon) and get FREE GATE ADMISSION!
Love the Fair at the PNE? Please share your top reasons to go to the Fair at the PNE.