I love Vancouver. I love that we live in a city where a luxury hotel (the Shangri-La Vancouver) and one of the cities top-rated, high-end restaurants (MARKET by Jean-Georges) decide to host an on-site farmers market and no one blinks an eye. Because, hey, why not? Even elite gourmands love a farmers market (right?), especially a fancy-pants one.
I jest; it really is a great idea (if somewhat ironic): MARKET will host the inaugural Shangri-La Farmers Market on its outside terrace, where guests can peruse stalls from nine different local vendors while enjoying complimentary canapés from Shangri-La’s Executive Chef Wayne Harris and complimentary wine tastings from Tinhorn Creek Vineyards.
Most of the nine vendors at MARKET’s market will sell prepared, gourmet items. Here’s a list of all vendors, taken from the MARKET Facebook page:
- Skipper Otto’s Community Supported Fishery
- Organic Farm Connection (salad greens and leafy things)
- Maan Farms
- Purebread (strawberries)
- French Made Baking (French pastries and macarons)
- Yummy Baked Goods (traditional baking)
- Take a Fancy Chocolate and Sweets (chocolates)
- Sticky Spoon
- Erin Ireland – mother of banana bread & food writer (rave-winning banana bread, personally tasted & endorsed by Jean-Georges)
Should be quite the soirée!
Shangri-La and MARKET have two more farmers markets planned for Summer 2012, one in August and one in September (dates TBA).
The first Shangri-La Farmers Market runs from 11am – 2pm this Sunday, June 24.
(Want to see Vancouver diversity in action? Do Shangri-La Farmers Market in the morning then head to Greek Day on Broadway—I can’t think of two more disparate events to occur on the same day!)