Back by popular demand, Inside Vancouver has relaunched the “Featured Attraction of the Week” series. Each Monday we’ll be featuring a different Vancouver attraction and will be giving away free tickets to our readers. To be eligible, all you have to do is post a comment.
Roedde House Museum, in Vancouver’s West End, is a late-Victorian home in the Queen Anne revival style, looking over Barclay Heritage Square and surrounded by other heritage houses. Built in 1893 for the family of Gustav Roedde, the city’s first printer and bookbinder, it has been faithfully restored to reflect the day-to-day life of a middle class family at the turn of the last century.
The Museum offers a unique experience for visitors: unlike many heritage houses, the rooms are not roped off or behind glass, and some of the artefacts may be handled with care. Each of the eleven rooms has been furnished with artefacts and period items, which were collected over the years, some returned by the Roedde family. Experienced docents will be happy to share their knowledge and stories with you or you can choose to wander at your own pace and use our room-by-room guides. Delve into the stories of a family whose lives were intricately woven with Vancouver’s own history.
The Museum offers guided Tea and Tour Sundays between 1pm and 4pm. Also on the program: concerts, readings, and other cultural events, as well as an award-winning School program for elementary students. Check our website www.roeddehouse.org for more details and upcoming events.
Current winter exhibitions (upstairs collections room, included in admission price):
- “Child’s play”: A collection of children’s antique toys, games and pictures.
- “Hats! Hats! Hats!” : An amazing selection of toppers dated from the 1890s to the 1920s. A must-see for all fashion-lovers.
- “Weddings”: A charming exhibition of wedding garments, souvenirs and pictures from the 1920s.
- And a timely display of antique Christmas cards in our parlour.
Upcoming Christmas Events:
- Crafternoon at Roedde House! Free admission, kids are invited for an afternoon of cookie decorating and other crafts between 1pm and 4pm. Parents are welcome to stay for tea and tour.
- “A Child’s Christmas in Wales” by Dylan Thomas. One of Dylan Thomas’ most famous works will be brought to life in our parlour by artist Paul Toolan. Originally a radio broadcast narrated by Thomas himself in 1952, the text lets us reminisce about a romanticized Christmas from the view of a young child. Settle in, get cozy and take a nostalgic trip back in time with your story teller. Shows on December 9th and 10th. 7pm. $10. On December 10th, special rate for members of the West End Seniors’ Network – $5. Limited seating, reservations recommended – 604.684.7040 or email@example.com
December 13th – Barclay Heritage Square Christmas Celebrations. Free admission to Roedde House, 1pm to 4pm.
December 16th – An Evening with Charles Dickens. To mark Charles Dickens’ 200th birthday, Roedde House is pleased to present a new expanded version of its long-standing production of AN EVENING WITH CHARLES DICKENS. Don Mowatt, Carolyn Finlay and Cam Cathcart entertain with stories, readings, conversation, songs and carols from the pens of Dickens and his contemporaries. Join us for an evening of rollicking good humour and a tear or two. Refreshments served. 7pm, $18. Reservations required.
About Roedde House Museum:
Address: 1415 Barclay Street, Vancouver BC V6G 1J6 (corner of Barclay and Broughton)
Hours: Tuesday-Friday 1pm to 4pm; Sunday Tea and Tour 1pm to 4pm.Closed on Mondays and Saturdays.
Closest Skytrain station: Burrard.
Buses: #5 (Robson, Broughton stop)
Driving: There are four parking spaces available to guests of the museum, call us for more information.
|We’re giving away two free admissions valid either for weekday admission (tour) or for Sunday Tea and Tour, as well as two books: “More Than House” by Janet Bingham and “Our Friend Joe: The Joe Fortes Story” by Lisa Smith and Barbara Rogers. All you have to do is post a comment below and we’ll randomly select a winner at noon on Friday, December 14th and notify the winner by email.|
Updated Friday, December 14th: Congratulations Nadine! You are the lucky recipient of two free admissions, valid either for weekday admission (tour) or for Sunday Tea and Tour to the Roedde House Museum, as well as two books: “More Than House” by Janet Bingham and “Our Friend Joe: The Joe Fortes Story” by Lisa Smith and Barbara Rogers. Please check your inbox for further details on how to go about claiming your prize. Thank you to everyone who posted a comment. Be sure to check back next Monday for our new Featured Attraction of the Week!