The city by the sea is no slacker when it comes to steaks, chops and ribs. With access to premium Alberta beef and organic cuts from the nearby Fraser Valley, Vancouver boasts steakhouses that combine exquisite cuisine with the refined ambience and service.
For traveling carnivores, here’s a quick guide to some of Vancouver’s best steakhouses:
- Gotham: Located in a restored heritage building in the heart of the financial district, Gotham is the quintessential premium steakhouse. The menu sticks to classic cuts of Canadian prime beef, from enormous porterhouses to succulent filets. High ceilings and dark wood furnishings complement the sumptuous experience.
- Black+Blue: Offering a modern take on the steakhouse, Black+Blue serves high-end cuts in a trendy, high-energy setting. In fact, beef takes center stage, literally: Meats are prominently displayed in a see-through aging case in the middle of the busy restaurant.
- Hy’s Encore: For more than a half-century, Hy’s has been satisfying Vancouver’s most discriminating meat eaters with its signature prime rib and New York strip. Décor is elegant, dark and conspiratorial – a refined, secret enclave in the busy city for enjoying fine food and wine.
- The Keg: A family steakhouse with a comfortable, casual atmosphere, the Keg has multiple restaurants in Vancouver and more than 100 locations across Canada. It’s known for offering an excellent combination of great value and tender, flavorful steaks.
- Glowbal Grill Steaks & Satay: Spicing up the normally conservative steakhouse scene is this trendy Yaletown restaurant, which features premium steaks and Asian-inspired satays. Dominated by a large, open kitchen, Glowbal is the place to go for great beef and fusion cuisine in a young, trendy atmosphere.
- Stonegrill: Perched on the edge of scenic False Creek inlet, Stonegrill sears all of its mouthwatering steaks on a hot lava granite stone. The novel cooking technique uses no oils or marinades, offering carnivores a healthier alternative to traditional flame-grilled cuts.