Along the Fraser River in Richmond lies a small piece of history: the London Heritage Farm. The farm, a four-acre historical site, is complete with the original farmhouse, barn, grounds, and gardens. The farmhouse, built in the 1890s, has been restored to reflect life at a working farm in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Exploring the rooms in the farmhouse is more than just stepping into a museum: it is akin to stepping back in time.
The farm was purchased by the London brothers in 1880. Originally, a small farmhouse was erected on the land but eight years later, after getting married, Charles London built the farmhouse that remains today for his wife and family. A general store, post office, and wharf were also established to allow shipping and trade. The farm was occupied by the London family until 1948. The farmhouse was rented out to a series of families before being purchased by the City of Richmond in 1978.
The farmhouse today features six rooms furnished with the typical furniture and articles of the late 19th and early 20th century. Children’s clothes, quilts, and toys fill one bedroom, while ladies’ hats, glasses, and books sit in another. Photographs hanging on the wall show pioneer farming families of the time.
Outside, a red barn and agricultural farm equipment give a glimpse of life on the farm and a small hand tool museum holds old farrier and carpenter tools. The grounds and gardens are beautifully maintained by volunteers and are wheelchair and walker accessible. A memorial rose garden features several varieties of roses while fruit trees, berries, herbs and more can be found around the grounds.
The farm is also home to a tea room, ideal for stopping by after exploring the farmhouse and grounds. Tea, scones, and treats are all on hand for afternoon tea at the farm.
Entrance to the London Heritage Farm is by donation. Currently, the farmhouse and tea room are open 12-5 on Wednesdays to Sundays. From September to June, the farmhouse and tea room will only be open on weekends, with the exception of January when they will be closed. The grounds are open all year round.