The diners of Canada have spoken. And they’ve got good things to say about Vancouver.
A total of 11 Vancouver restaurants are featured in a new list of the 100 Best Restaurants in Canada. Compiled by restaurant reservation site OpenTable, the list is unique in that it’s 100-percent crowdsourced. Instead of getting professional reviewers to rank restaurants, OpenTable based the list purely on actual reviews from diners. A total of 275,000 reviews of approximately 1,600 restaurants from coast to coast – all left by verified diners – were analyzed to come up with the new list.
So which Vancouver restaurants made the cut? The list – which is unranked – includes some old favourites, some up-and-comers and a few surprises:
- Bishop’s – Fine-dining standby in Kitsilano that pioneered local, seasonal dining more than 30 years ago
- Blue Water Café – Upscale seafood favourite in Yaletown
- Federico’s Supper Club – Commercial Drive fixture known best for its dinner shows
- Five Sails Restaurant – Fine dining in the Pan Pacific Hotel, with a Pacific Northwest menu and sweeping water views
- Hawksworth – Fine dining staple in downtown’s historic Hotel Georgia
- L’Abattoir – Gastown favourite known for its industrial-chic decor and French-inspired fare
- Lupo Restaurant & Vinoteca – Elegant Italian dining in a small “villa” tucked amid the high-rise towers of Yaletown
- Miku – Sushi and sustainable seafood served in an upscale setting near Canada Place with views of Coal Harbour
- Tavola – West End gem on Robson Street that specializes in housemade pastas and Italian dishes
- West Restaurant – High-end institution on Granville Street famous for its West Coast cuisine
- Zest – Creative takes on contemporary Japanese cuisine served in a refined setting
If you’re wondering why this list leaves off some obvious Vancouver favourites, keep in mind that it’s based exclusively on OpenTable reviews. Restaurants that don’t rely heavily on OpenTable for reservations (or don’t use the service at all) are likely to be missed.
You can check out the complete list at OpenTable.