“Uh, excuse me? Winter? Can you please, just… uh… stop for a second!?” If you’ve found yourself thinking that very sentence in the past few weeks (although it’s more for the rain than for the cold temperatures!) you’re in luck… The 11th annual Winterruption Festival is coming back to Vancouver this weekend (February 19-21) for some fun and festive music, dance, theatre, art, food, craft, and so many activities!
The event is an exciting and eclectic break from the doldrums of Winter, taking place on Granville Island with an incredible range of events and performances all across the island. Winterruption promises something surprising around every corner, so you’ll never know what to expect!
This “uniquely Vancouver” festival has a wide array of events that cater to every age and interest. Whether you’re just excited to make some art, watch a hilarious live theatre show, or participate in a spontaneous dance party, there’s something for everyone!
An example of some of the more interesting sounding events include:
- BBQ Feature (Feb 19 – 21) – You’ve gotta eat before you have fun. The Public Market will be offering delectable baby back ribs with mash potatoes and truffle oil… (more info)
- The Winterruption Donut Spectacular (Feb 19-21) – Okay, maybe I’m just really hungry, but this sounds amazing. There will be delicious donuts made in a surprising combination of flavours made specially for the festival… (more info)
- Like a Rolling Stone (Feb 19 – 21) – An exhibition that riffs off of the subject of rock… Using geology and mixed mediums to take a look at the exciting world of rocks! (more info)
- One-Man Dark Knight: A Batman Parody (Feb 18 – 21) – No costumes, no sets, no Batmobiles, a comedian takes you on a comedic joyride, from Batman’s origins to his battles against Gotham’s super-villains. (more info)
- Carnival Procession (Feb 20 – 21) – Dance in the streets with Mortal Coil Carnival stilt dancers, Asa Branco and Jacky Essombe. Join in the parade! Starts in the Kids Zone and ends in Railspur Alley.
Grab your best toque and favourite fleece, and enjoy the festival that stirs the senses, excites the mind – and delivers a whole lot of fun for everyone!
The Vancouver Winterruption Festival on Granville Island will take place from Friday, February 19 – Sunday, February 21. See you there!